You may find it useful to print out this page and keep it next to your meter box together with a torch.
If your lights go out and your sockets fail, there could be a number of reasons:
- Your trip switch may have operated
- Guernsey Electricity's main service fuse in your home may have failed
- Your pre-payment meter may have run out of credit
- There may be a power cut or network fault in your area
FIRST check your trip switch, which in the majority of cases is located next to your main fuse box or the electricity meter.
Remember on this type of device:
- UP position is ON
- DOWN position is OFF
If the trip switch is OFF (usually down)
- Try to switch it back on. If the switch trips immediately you have a fault in an appliance or in the wiring of your property.
- Leave the trip switch off, unplug all appliances and turn off things like your immersion heater, oven and hob.
- Try the trip switch again.
- If it stays on, one by one begin to switch appliances back on. By this process of elimination, you should find the faulty appliance. Leave that appliance unplugged or switched off and call the service agent.
- If the switch still refuses to re-set, double check that all equipment has been switched off. If everything has been unplugged or switched off and the switch will not re-set you may have a fault in the wiring. Do not attempt to trace the fault yourself, call us on 245828 and we will send out an Electrician to your property.
If the trip switch is ON (usually up)
- Check to see if your neighbours still have their electricity supply. At night look outside to see if the streetlights are on. If everywhere is off, call our Freephone emergency number 0800 587 0285. Do not assume we are aware that you have lost supply.
- If your neighbours still have their electricity supply and you appear to be the only house without supply our main service fuse inside your home may have failed. Call our Freephone emergency number 0800 587 0285.
Advice for pre-payment meter customers:
- Check that you have unused credit on the meter. If you don't, you can get emergency credit using your key / card.
- If you need credit, you can top up at one of the following outlets: Guernsey Electricity Showroom; Checkers Xpress - The Bridge, Le Pollet and Collings Road; Jeffrey's Garage; Landes du Marche Garage and Candie Cache Stores.
- If there is unused credit on your meter there may be a fault and you should call our Freephone emergency number: 0800 587 0285.
Our engineers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If the fault is due to a failure of our own equipment, the service is free. If, however, the fault proves to be within the customers own property or equipment, we will make a charge for our attendance.
If there is a power failure in the island, the Guernsey Electricity Facebook and Twitter pages will be kept up-to-date with the latest information.