Access to premises
From time to time during the year there will be occasions when Guernsey Electricity needs to gain access to your property. Some examples of this are:
- Installing, maintaining, checking or reading your meter;
- Checking your supply after an interruption;
- Providing general advice on electricity.
We will send a representative who has been thoroughly vetted during the recruitment process. The representative will be fully trained for the task they have been asked to do. In addition to this they will also have been trained in:
- Safety knowledge - they will be able to recognise hazardous situations and have access to the necessary contacts to resolve the situation.
- Customer assistance - they will be able to explain to the customer the task they are undertaking and advise on who to contact at Guernsey Electricity for further information.
- Confidentiality - they will ensure that the information they carry and collect will be transported safely and only used for its intended purpose.
- Emergency situations - They will be aware of who to contact should they come across a problem with your electricity supply.
How to identify our employees
Our representative will always carry his identity card. This card includes the Guernsey Electricity logo, the name of the employee, their department and job title together with their photo and signature. If you are at all suspicious that the caller is not genuine, DO NOT LET THEM IN. Call us on 200700 or call the police.
To help you identify our employees all the Meter Readers, fixers and technicians wear uniforms. However, there are some of our representatives who do not wear a uniform. They will still have an identity card as detailed above. Not all of our representatives will arrive in a vehicle with our company logo, but they will all have an identity card.
We can also arrange for our staff to quote a password chosen by you. You will need to contact our Customer Accounts section to arrange this. They will be happy to record a password of your choice which will be passed only to our representatives should they need to call.
When we will call
Our representatives work Monday to Friday. Appointments can be made between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm. If you have a request outside these times we will always try to accommodate you. However, if we are making calls where we do not need access to your premises we sometimes work outside these times.
If you have left a key with us for our representative to gain access to your property, it will be kept secure and never labelled with your address. The key will not be given to anyone else without your express permission and will be returned to you on demand.