From 1898 to present day, we take you through the years of Guernsey Electricity.
Mr F E Gripper obtained the original concession to build and operate an electricity generating and distribution system in Guernsey, on behalf of Edmondson's Electricity Corporation of London.
Cables being laid in the Bordage cicra 1900
Cable being laid on the Grange circa 1900
Staff Photo taken in 1900.
St Sampson Harbour circa 1900
Cables being laid in Le Pollet, St Peter Port in 1900.
The first units were generated for distribution to a limited number of consumers in Guernsey.
The first complaint about emissions from the Les Amballes power station was recorded.
The Bailiff officially opened the power station at Les Amballes.
Street lighting was introduced into the High Street in St Peter Port, and for the first time, the market was lit with electricity.
Connections were made to Castle Cornet and the Castel Hospital over the next 2 years.
Staff Photo taken in 1902
The States Electric Lighting Committee applied to the Royal Court for permission to build a power station in St Sampson's.
Plans to build a power station in St Sampson were approved.
The Vale Power Station being built in 1903.
The Vale Power Station in 1904.
The States gave permission for low voltage overhead lines. By the end of the year lines had already been erected in the Salt Pans and Bordeaux areas.
The Guernsey Electric Light & Power Company Registration Certificate from 1907.
Staff Picture taken in April 1907.
The Guernsey Electric Light and Power Company acquired the concession from Edmundsons Electricity Corporation.
The Guernsey Electric Light and Power Company opened a new showroom in the Commercial Arcade.
The Electric Light And Power Shop in 1911
The Guernsey Electric Light and Power Company new offices and showroom were officially opened at the recently purchased premises at 25 High Street.
Staff Picture taken in 1919.
The Yacht Hotel (now Boots) circa 1921.
The Guernsey Electric Light and Power Company turned their attention to smaller types of generating and decided to buy two Diesel engines.
Aerial View of St Peter Port Harbour circa 1930
The States Electricity Board was appointed and the nominated its first members.
Cables being laid in the St Peter Port High Street in 1933.
St Peter Port High Street Cabling in 1933.
The States of Guernsey terminated the concession with the Edmundsons Electricity Corporation, acquired the undertaking and delivered it to the States Electricity Board to administer in trust.
Royal Silver Jubilee Lights on St Julian's Avenue 1935
Royal Silver Jubilee Town Church Lights in 1935
Lighting Installed at St Peter Port Garage in 1936
The Board of Administration arranged for the installation of lights around St Sampson's Harbour.
The Luftwaffe bombed a number of tomato-laden lorries in St Peter Port harbour, which they had mistakenly identified as military vehicles. The result was more than thirty deaths and a similar number of serious injuries. Two days later on Sunday June 30th the German forces landed in Guernsey.
The German Commandant ordered that heating water by electricity for baths was forbidden, as was the use of electric lifts. Electric fires and radiators were specifically banned.
The Star newspaper recorded what it believed was the first case of a person being charged in the magistrate's court, with interfering with the States Electricity Board's power lines and apparatus.
Three aircraft dropped bombs on St Peter Port harbour. A heavy calibre bomb fell on the inner harbour, causing considerable damage to the shopping centre, including the Board's offices at 25 High Street.
A few days after it was announced the war was over rationing of electricity came to an end.
Negotiations were started with the Jamonneau Trust Estate for the purchase of the disused German power station site in the Bouet.
Cliff Tickners and the GE Delivery Van circa 1950
The Electricity Board tent at the first Saumarez Park show in 1951
A high voltage cable being installed outside the Vale Power Station in 1956
A fire swept through the contracting section's buildings at the Bouet, destroying almost all of the contents, stores, tools and equipment, and two motor vehicles.
Guernsey From The Air circa 1960.
The Albany, South Esplanade before the Albany was built circa 1960.
The St Peter Port Seafront in 1962.
Islanders boarding a plane at Guernsey Airport.
Castle Cornet floodlit at night circa 1970
The Royal Hotel, St Peter Port circa 1970.
View along the Town Seafront circa 1970.
The Lieutenant Governor, Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Mills, officially opened the engine hall, now known as “B Station”.
Aerial Photo of the Powerstation in 1971
Town Shop in 1977
The view from the States offices looking towards the Weighbridge in 1979.
Electricity House Front Entrance in 1980.
The Vale Power Station circa 1980.
The Jersey Electricity Company proceeded with the installation of an undersea power cable to EdF.
Gardline Surveys Ltd. was awarded a contract to carry out a hydrographic survey of a route for a submarine cable between Guernsey and France.
The Super Economy 12 tariff was brought into use for domestic and non-domestic customers.
The Board decided to adopt with immediate effect, the title "Guernsey Electricity" (GE) as its trade name.
The States of Guernsey approved the construction of an undersea power link with Jersey and France.
The Channel Islands Electricity Grid Company Limited (CIEG) was formed to construct and operate a cable link for the importation of electricity from France into Jersey and Guernsey.
Underground cable from Havelet Bay to Barker's Quarry was started to be laid.
Dial Before You Dig was set up to try and prevent third party contractors from damaging Guernsey Electricity cables.
Guernsey cable link being installed in the slipway at Havelet bay in 2000.
Guernsey's cable link being installed in the slipway at Havelet bay in 2000.
Guernsey Electricity took its first units of electricity from the European Grid through the undersea cable.
Guernsey Electricity became a commercialised States Trading Company operating under the Electricity (Guernsey) Law 2001.
10th anniversary of Channel Islands Electricity Grid.
Guernsey Electricity’s undersea cable to Jersey failed.
One of Jersey Electricity’s undersea cable to France failed and was deemed irreparable.
The section of the undersea cable that failed being repaired in July 2012.
The faulty section of the undersea cable from Guernsey to Jersey.
Guernsey Electricity’s new generator 2D was delivered to Guernsey. The engine was the single largest item to ever be delivered into the island.
2D arrived by ship at St Sampson Harbour. It was the single largest item to ever be offloaded in the island.
The new generator known as 2D being manoeuvred into D Station.
Planning permission granted for undersea cable Normandie 3.
Guernsey Electricity signs a new 10 year deal with EDF for 30% of imported electricity to come from hydroelectricity.
The Cable Enterprise, a 7,000-tonne power cable-laying vessel, starts work off the coast of France to lay the new undersea cable known as Normandie 3.
Burying Normandie 3 on Normandy Beach.
The CIEG hosted the Atlantic Cable Maintenance & Repair Agreement 2014 conference in Guernsey.
We successfully completed a preventative repair on our undersea cable to Jersey.
The first 1,200m of the EDF1 cable is removed before the installation of Normandie 1.
We signed a contract with Finnish energy company Wartsila to deliver and install a second medium-speed diesel engine, to be known as 3D.
Work started to lay our new subsea power cable, Normandie 1, which will provide electricity to Guernsey via Jersey.
Engine 3D was safely delivered to the Vale Power Station after being offloaded at Abraham's Bosom.
Our new £40m subsea power cable, Normandie 1, was switched on ahead of schedule supplying Guernsey with electricity via Jersey.